Five Roses Flour Mill
Google Earth View
The Medicine Hat Milling Company, located on what is now South Railway Street, was one of the first industries established in Medicine Hat. The wooden structure opened in 1901, and the company produced bread and cereal. Lake of the Woods Milling Company purchased the operation in 1914 and began producing Five Roses Flour products. This production continued to the mid 1950’s and saw an expansion in 1916 where it was doubled in size and the elevator as it is seen today was built.
The mill was purchased by Ogilvie Flour Company in 1954 and operated for three years before it was closed. It was briefly functional in the 1960s, but for the most part it remained vacant until it was sold in the 1970s. The warehouse was then reduced in size and in 1976 it became the Inn at the Old Mill before becoming the Silver Buckle, with apartments and a pub on the lower floor, as it is seen as today.